Sunday, June 6, 2010

Gentle Elder Parent Care

So my focus has been divided into many slices of pie. I am juggling many more balls in the air than ever before in my life. First Ball - my immediate family: husband, household and all that goes with, grown children relationships and grandchild time. Second ball - full-time job and in the middle of trying to advance my position in said job. Third ball - Dad in the hospital: visits, caring for his garden and financial responsibilities, caring for my mom with Alzheimer disease while Dad is not there to care for her. Fourth ball - Cooking and providing meals for two households. Fifth ball - Coordinating schedules with family members who love my parents so that the care of my mother is constant while I'm at work. Other balls - Personal hair dresser, clothes coordinator, meal planner, blood tester, Insulin and meds giver. yada! yada!

I don't have time to watch my favorite tv shows or read a book but surprisingly I'm feeling good about feeling needed and being able to help my parents in their declining years. Challenging? Yes. Stressful? Yes. But I have a wonderful family who is coming together at a time of need. After all isn't that what love is.

Alzheimer disease is very sad. It is steeling my Mothers memories. She doesn't remember me when I was little. She remembers me now, though, and I am happy for that as long as it lasts.

The goal for my father's sake is to keep them out of a nursing home as long as possible. Thank God that I still have them with me.

Crunchy Grandma taking some time for herself. Okay I'm done.

1 comment:

  1. I just reviewed your work load and I think you can squeeze in a part time job. We’ll talk
    Buff

    ReplyDelete