Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Gentle Discipline Warrior too.

I read a condensed version of a book in Readers Digest about a girl named Shirley that grew up with no love and guidance from a parent. Abandoned on the side of the road at six years old by her mother, separated from her brother, unloved by her father and sexually abused as payment for his drugs. At six she lured a three year old boy into the woods, tied him to a tree, and set him on fire.
As a result, she was sentenced to a mental hospital but was placed in a Special Ed class until a space opened up at the facility. This turned out to be Shirley's salvation.
The author is Tory Hayden who was the teacher in the special ed. class. She chronicled her experience with Shirley in that class in her book (One Child) but I read the rest of the story in her second book (The Tigers Child)
Tory found her to be a very bright and very neglected little girl. The story was inspiring because she was able to survive and flourish but I haven't been able to get her off my mind.

I talked to a friend today who's grandson has been abandoned by Children's Services and returned to a bad situation because "the abuse and neglect aren't BAD ENOUGH yet to keep him from his mother".

My heart aches because the world is not such a kind place for every child. Tonight I will pray for those children. What can WE do for them?

2 comments:

  1. Just makes me cry thinking about that sweet little boy and I have such sympathy as well for the poor woman and children's services that is being REQUIRED by her supervisor to ignore his plight. No wonder social workers burn out so fast.

    I also feel sorry for the boys mother, who I grew up with. She endured what can only be called torture at the hands of her teachers and classmates. She is failing her child but society also failed her. Now society is failing her sons and the cycle will continue. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so incredibly tragic. Thanks for such an important post.

    ReplyDelete