Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The joys of cosleeping

My first experience as a crunchy grandma (besides participating in the birth) was cosleeping with my grandaughter. When she was just a month old, we stayed all night at my daughters house to babysit so her and hubby could have a night away for their aniversary. I wasn't worried about bottle feeding the pumped momjuice or changing diapers (although I was all thumbs and out of practice) but I have to admit I was worried about sleeping in the same bed with her. Grandpa and I both slept with her between us as she was used to and it really helped that the bed was king sized. I did wake up often and listen for her breathing at first but i knew right away that there was no way we could roll over on her or hurt her. I was aware of her warm little body against my back or next to me under my arm and as she was swaddled I didnt have to worry about her being warm. I knew instinctively that she was safe next to me and I didnt have to jump out of bed to check on her in the next room. I do have to confess that I nudged her once until she squirmed just to make sure she was breathing (poor thing). she had a 12am feeding (I warmed the bottle while gpa snuggled with her) and we didn't hear from her again until almost 6am.

Gpa and I are so enjoying watching her grow. I have never seen a more contented and happy child. I am convinced that it is the crunchy life style that is shaping her emotional stability. Her needs are always met, at night she is never alone and it has caused her to be confident and inquisitive and trusting of her family. She even sat on Santas lap without fear at 10 months old. Her parents are supportive of her every moment and We are very proud.

Crunch on!

2 comments:

  1. the whole experiance was so good i fell like we really missed out on something great with our kids. it's a shame you can't go back and redo some things but there no redos in life only in open heast suregery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what grandparenting is all about maybe? Going back and doing it again.

    Beautiful memory Mom, Aellyn will love to read about this one day. Who needs that Gma book when you can read Gma's blog.

    Also, I love Crunch On - that could be your sign off like Julia's Bon Apetite!

    ReplyDelete