Monday, May 17, 2010

Gentle Grand-parenting

After reading Gentle Parenting Warrior on Baby Dust Diaries I realize how widespread the notion is that babies and toddlers can be brats or spoiled. I have a friend who says her 1 year old grandson is really spoiled. Another friend says her grandchildren are brats. After seeing Gentle Parenting in practice with my granddaughter I know that her grandson is probably not having all his needs met and that the grandchildren are frustrated and angry at being controlled and disrespected.

My granddaughter is such a sweet person. She is heard and respected and in turn she is content and happy. We create environments that allow her to explore and express herself and in turn she is courageous and friendly. She has the most fun pulling all the plastic bowls and lids out of my cupboard or take all the books off the shelf. We don't teach her that she is being bad for making a mess or a nuisance for causing me a little work. We realize that she is exploring and learning and we accept her curiosity. She thinks it's the most fun to pick up the TV remote and take off just to hear Grandpa playfully threaten to come after her and then bring it right back to him.
We treat Aellyn joyfully and in turn she is full of joy.

Spread the crunch!

2 comments:

  1. GREAT POST GRANDMA AND EVERY WORD THE TRUTH, (FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR LIFE) AELLYN IS THE ONLY BABY THAT I'VE EVER SEEN THAT DOESN'T GET CRANKY EVEN WHEN SHE'S SLEEPY. SHE JUST GOES WITH THE FLOW. AND HER PARENTS TELL LIES ABOUT HER ALL THE TIME ABOUT HER FUSSING ALL NIGHT. (SHAME ON YOU PARENTAL UNITS). I DON'T THINK IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH GENTLE PARENTING I THINK IT'S BECAUSE SHE CAME FROM GOOD STOCK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post if featured in the May Gentle Discipline Fair! Let you readers know by adding the badge to your post! Code is available here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=adcp4gds9fvq_297gd5jv6dw

    ReplyDelete